While the warmer weather may finally be here to stay, I hesitate to retire my slow cooker until Fall. So for those of you celebrating Cinco De Mayo this week, here’s a simple and tasty idea from Jenn F!
Crock Pot Brown Rice Burrito Bowl
Modified from this recipe: http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2014/10/01/slow-cooker-chicken-burrito-bowl/
Time: 5 hours (15 for prep, 4 hours and 45 minutes of crock pot cook time)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
2 teaspoons of Penzys Southwest seasoning (if not on hand, follow the recipe in the link)
3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
1 can of Rotel tomatoes (the ones with the green chilies with them)
1 14oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 ¾ cups of instant whole grain brown rice
1 ½ cups of shredded Mexican cheese
1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
2. Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts and stir in canned tomatoes, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, Southwest seasoning, and salt and pepper.
3. Cook on low for about 4 hours (until chicken reaches 165 degrees)
4. Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker.
5. Turn slow cooker to high and stir in instant rice and black beans.
6. Let cook 30-45 minutes until rice is tender.
7. Add chicken back in, top with cheese and let it cook a few minutes longer until the cheese is tender.